Monday, May 3, 2010

Dog Art on a Box-- AWARD!-- Thanks-- The Dog Chronicles

The website experts have said that one of the ways a new website can gather fans is to win an award-- so I am giving myself one. Reason #4. why The Dog Chronicles is the best dog-related website in the universe-- It has won the Leah Ueki Fowler Blue Ribbon (she had one left over from Farmville) for excellence in Dog-Related Websiteness. Thank you Leah. You are my biggest fan, if not the tallest.

Today it's more Canine cigar boxes. Cigar boxes, like all cool things are becoming an item of the past. Cigar boxes as well as their contents are taxed at the same high rate. Manufacturers more frequently are selling their cigars in inexpensive bundles to save a buck. Even the boxes that are still manufactured are pretty plain. A lot are just wood with the brand name attached. It's no doubt expensive to produce one of these full-color, embossed type labels. I believe most are manufactured in Holland.

So why were dogs a good advertising symbol for cigars. Consider the times these dog labels were popular. If you've read any fiction written during the turn of the century, you know that bravery, loyalty, and friendship led the way in admirable traits for men. Check out Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes as a good example, or any novel by John Buchan, the author of The 39 Steps. What better symbol than a dog to portray such traits. Thanks to Tony Hyman as usual for these great pics. Check out the Cigar History Museum if you haven't yet. The link is at the right. Brad checked it out and says it is "Amazing."

Tomorrow I hope to run some more of these great photos-- what a hassle converting Mac photos into something usable on a pc. I am working on that. The photos open just fine, but downloading into a file doesn't work. I'm sure with the myriad programs I have that I will be able to fix this.

Thanks to all my readers last week. The short story won lots of praise. Let me know what else you guys want to learn about on this site. More fiction? What do you want to know about? Remember, I don't do a cute puppy picture site. I do like interesting, funny dog pictures, but nothing too staged. That's not what I do.

Finally, thank you to Brad Fowler for designing this site. He did a great job understanding just what I wanted. Bravo!

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Frank, you are too kind.
    I wanted to post a little something about Chips. One of the famous dogs in history.

    "Chips was a member of General George Patton’s Third Army." Photo from the Quartermaster Museum. Please add the photo of him.

    ReplyDelete